Sunday, September 21, 2008

Camera Matters

This was actually written last week....and I am not sure who already I sent it to...so why not post it?

I can only say that registration was finished and yesterday was thelast day to change a class.So, our classes are set. Thank you! (Starting over, backtrackingwith new students as late-adds is a bit crazy making)
Tom has 4 HSclasses in the AM periods 1,2,3, and 4 then a break for lunch and twoclass periods for prep…. till 7th period 7th graders. Please pr y for me.

The typical preparation time is spent in minor lunacy nearly every day….Today, I had to borrow the school digital camera…Why would I do that?…well .. Monday at the end of day, I discovered that my personal digital was missing.
So, after going home and checking ..thinking I'd remembered incorrectly, I found that the camera was not home and therefore must have grown legs at school.
So, at noon today still needing to finish student mug-photos for several student's projects (more on that later), I went to the HS Principal's office to get the digital camera.

I asked the ES Principal; "who knows or has used this, to quickly teach me how to use this camera?"
Well, says Ms. ES Principal, "Ms. Kindergarten knows how and she is in K3, the class with thetrain on the door down there" …so off I go.The class with the train…hum…..I proceed as directed but walk right past the sign as it is a flag sign and I totally miss it. I then walk all the way back to start over to find the room is two doors down fromwhere I started … OK.

Quietly, I open the door ..it is naptime in K3, so I tip toe to theback and wait while Ms. K cares for a little one who is crying . The poor dear wants her mom?

So finally, I ask Ms. K, who I quickly realize, has never seen this camera before, and she says that she only ever uses the video cam…duh.

So, I decide to walk to the Cafeteria to see who might know …as I walk, I look at the camera to see if I can find out how it works by myself. That is when I notice that there are about 10 batteries in the bottom of the camera case and none in the camera, where the batteries go.(What are the permutations of 10 batteries ...obviously some bad some good, in 4 battery slots..to find 4 good ones what are the odds? I'll be here forever.….It needs new batteries.

So past the Caf, to the purchasing department and requisition 4 batteries and that only takes about five more minutes.The purchasing department manager is glad to see me, because she has need to discuss the items on my requisition from yesterday and in fact six of the eight items are readily available at the copier-supply room and so she scratches those six off the list. The other items will need to be ordered,but we can't say how long it might be. Inshallah.

But, anyway after about more 10 minutes I am off to the caf to find help with the camera. I run into the two students who needed the photos and I must ask them to wait because now even with batteries, I can't seem to get the thing to function properly.

But wait … there is Ms. PhotoTeacher. She knows! She is the photo teacher from last year..That's when I remember that I have a meeting that started 15 minutesago with Ms. Photo Teacher and Mr. Yearbook., so we all meet to discuss the yearbook, for which I am an unpaid "freelance consultant" … I advise on some few subjects, being careful not to agree to do anything and so suggesting that I am only volunteering, "If" they want me and please don't feel obligated to me. Please."By the way, Ms. P..., I need YOUR help, can you quickly show me how towork this camera. I mean Ms. P., I am not a simpleton, and these arenormally pretty easy, what do you think?"

She then proceeded to press all of the normal controls for about ten more minutes with zero success. And, so I thanked her and just started pushing buttons myself. The camera displays the old pictures that someone else took…hum…but it will just will not take a photo….I need this thing to work today.!!

After about 5 more minutes I accidentally erase one of the old photos and also accidentally take one photo. How did I do that? …and for the life of me I cannot get it to take another photo.

Then… it occurs to me that it won't take another photo because the memory card is full…so I erase 5 older photos and voila!!!. I can take pictures! But, by now the students have waited all thoughout their lunch and I have already had to send them off to class with a "note" of excuse.

So … I will not be fouled. When I finally get to take those student mug photos, I will be ready to process them and get them back quickly to the students for their project that all others started yesterday, and these two will need at 2:30 today.

So…. I take the camera to my classroom, ..now with 1 hour left to figure out how to off-load a photo from this camera to my computer. Now, (of course now) I notice that there is no fire wire and no USB wire… but there isa USB card reader….Yes!!! I pop out the card from the camera after some struggle, getting the clip to release, and it says 128 MB. OK, its small.

In the camera case, I find a thing that looks like a small spaceship, and I figure it to be the solution. It's a off-market card reader with USB. This is it…well no not exactly. I connect the USB end to the computer USB port and jam the camera memory card into the slot provided the card reader and nothing happens. I remove and replace it three time and the then, little lamp glows red …yikes it works!

So I open up the files on the computer to discover that the card has all seven-month-old, last year, silly pictures of who-knows-what and some very bad shots at that. So I erased all of them and took some tests. Let us say I appropriated this camera…at least for today.

No problem. The whole process took from 12:30 PM to 2:15 PM … that's only one and 3/4 hours. So goes the story of nearly everything we try to do .... nothing too easy…coveting your pr yers, more later, T

1 comment:

RoseAnn said...

Whew! What a life! Thanks for sharing a day in the life of Tom. I wish you well and continued,or perhaps, "improved" hassle-free days in the future.